Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In Search of...a birthday blog for George Stephanopoulos

Today is George Stephanopoulos' birthday, and though it's been a while since I last blogged, I couldn't let this momentous occasion pass by without acknowledging it in some fashion since, after all, he was sort of the indirect reason I started blogging in the first place. (For all you latecomers to the game, you can go back to the beginning of my postings to catch up on why I say that.)

George's GMA family got him off to a rousing start, complete with cake and wife Ali in attendance. All the festivities got me thinking about how many years have passed and how much has transpired since I first began my crazy quest to meet George Stephanopoulos ten years ago when, as I like to point out, he was single. But ships have a way of sailing, and life has a way of taking us in different directions than we planned, and so it is with George and me.

Now I sit watching a Rhodes scholar interviewing Lady Gaga while it's me writing a piece about a Supreme Court ruling for The Huffington Post, and I wonder if there's any end to the irony in life. But he looks happier than I think I've ever seen him, and in these troubled times there's a lot to be said for that.

I find myself visualizing a day when it will be me on GMA, sitting there with George, talking about whatever it is I'm there to discuss. While I had always assumed it would be my memoir, these days I wouldn't venture a guess. I'm just staying open to life's infinite possibilities.

So on this snowy day I just want to say Happy Birthday to you, George. May your year be filled with good health, much happiness, and continued adventures.

And to you my readers who are not George Stephanopoulos, thanks for stopping by. Tune in tomorrow for the big "pot luck" blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment