Wednesday, January 12, 2011

In Search of...a Beatles song

Last night I went to see a Beatles tribute show on Broadway called Rain. I was certain there would be no plot to this show, and I was not disappointed.

In light of the past week's shooting rampage in Tucson, and more snow in New York, I wasn't really sure I could be enthusiastic about four guys who didn't look anything like the Beatles pretending to be John, Paul, George, and Ringo for a couple of hours. But I was wrong. It was exactly what I needed. In fact, I think it's what everyone needs in these troubling times.

As those of us who were assembled sang and danced along with song after familiar song, gleefully allowing ourselves to be transported to wherever it is each one of us individually wanted to go, I was able to take a deep breath for the first time since I don't know how long, and feel the sweet release of peace. Yes, music is better than any drug, and I'm sure the Beatles have tried most every drug. Music combines the seen and unseen worlds. It can uplift, inspire, comfort, and unite. What else does all of that at the same time? Nothing, I tell ya. Nothing.

So for a few brief moments I raised my voice with a room full of strangers to say things you never hear in today's cynical and snarky world - things like "give peace a chance" and "when all the broken hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer - let it be." Yes, we all sang "we can work it out, " and "love is all you need," and "in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make." And while it may be true that "yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away," it is also true that "we all want to change the world."

Whether a Beatles song brings you back to a time you remember fondly, or whether it simply makes you feel good, hopeful, and united with the brotherhood of man, whatever you seek can be found in the music and lyrics. So pull out your red and blue albums, and find your way to a moment's happiness in a crazy world.

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment