Friday, March 11, 2011

In Search of...time well spent

We live in a society that determines success by quantifiable results. It you do this, you get that. If you've accomplished this, you are successful. Societally, we really don't consider poverty to be a virtue, nor do we consider wealth to solely be measured by the size of our bank accounts.

Years ago, while participating in a three month leadership training, I had to check in with someone every day and they asked me one question: What are you going to create today? It's been a long time since I've thought about that, and an even longer time since I've begun my day asking myself that question. But it is a valuable one to ask ourselves each day because it sets the tone, not only for those results which are economically quantifiable, but for those things like our relationships that are not.

As a songwriter, or writer of any kind, for that matter, it is murky water we tread in to determine the value of what it is we create each day. The fun is in the creation of it, the moment you get a spark of an idea, a fleeting glimpse of eternity and the experience of true magic. Most people aren't lucky enough to have that opportunity, but those of us prone to the joys and heartaches of creating something out of thin air hang on to those moments for dear life. They are what sustain us.

That brings me to this...a bunch of songs I wrote for my cousin Matt Angel to record. Now, normally I would refer to this as a "shameless act of self promotion," trying to downplay the fact that I have created something that I want people to spend their hard earned money on. But the truth is I'm proud of what we've done. I loved the time I spent writing and co-writing all the songs with my friends. I loved the joy of working with my cousin and of the studio experience. And yes, I love the outcome. It was a project created from a place of joy, and so when I look back on it, it was time very well spent. I hope when you listen, you find that to be the case as well.

Here's the link for it:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-angel/id424309349

Whatever it is you choose to create today, I hope it brings you much satisfaction. Thank you for sharing a few minutes of your time on this blog. I appreciate it more than you know. Peace and Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment