Sunday, May 1, 2011

In Search of...some comedy, man!

Last night was the White House Correspondents dinner, and once again, I was snubbed. Okay, so I'm not a correspondent and I don't work in the White House, but still, neither do a lot of the three thousand other people who attended.

Yes, this is the one night a year where Washington pokes fun at itself, and generally takes the joke pretty well. After watching the festivities on TV for many of years, I think I can safely say that this year was the best one yet. Oh, I don't have any delusions that, along with running the free world, President Obama is sitting there writing his own jokes, but a man who can both take a joke and dish one out, is a rarity in the Oval Office. And dish it out he did so well.


Whether it was the Lion King video with his birth date and time stamped in the corner, or starting the rumor mill that Michelle Bachman is Canadian, the President doaled out some humdingers. Of course the icing on the cake was the incessant butt of most of the jokes for the evening - Donald Trump - who, as we all saw plain as day, can not take a joke. This really comes as no big surprise to anyone, but he would have scored points if he would have at least tried to look like he was a good sport.


Seth Meyers hit it out of the park, as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure the jokes had to be vetted by somebody, but I'm certain that it wasn't Donald Trump. And speaking of vetting, Seth pointed out that Trump's ownership of the Miss USA pageant would come in handy in the selection process of the Republican vice presidential candidate. Good one, Seth.


I could go on and on, but I think it best viewed for yourself. Enjoy, and thanks for stopping by.


President's speech:




Seth Meyers speech:

No comments:

Post a Comment