Friday, August 17, 2012

My Birthday Blog - What to Keep, What to Throw Away

It’s my birthday today, and so far, it has been one filled with love and well wishes from both expected and unexpected people. And I can’t really think of a better way to celebrate than to try to be fully present to all the good people would send my way.

I’ve been thinking a lot about dreams lately – which ones to dust off and go for with zeal, and which to let go of and consider a thing of the past. And maybe this birthday is finding me more reflective and melancholy because as we get older, we become more keenly aware of how fast time goes and how quickly life changes and how, in the blink of an eye, those we love can be taken from us. So I want to be sure to appreciate every morsel of beauty and joy that I can in any given moment.

Today, I am contemplating what to keep and what to throw away. And though I usually sift through these things around the New Year, I feel like it’s somehow more fitting today to boldly lay claim to my intentions. So on that note…

I want to keep those relationships that nurture my soul and serve as a reminder of who I am at my very best.

I want to throw away any erroneous thoughts of lack and not enough, because this is a world of abundance and possibility.

I want to keep an outlook of hope, faith and love no matter what the circumstances that surround me.

I want to throw away old ideas and beliefs that no longer reflect what I know to be true. And what I know to be true is – love trumps fear, faith trumps doubt, and miracles happen in big and small ways every minute of every day.

I want to keep the passion for creating something new out of a blank page, because, really, isn’t that the gift we’re handed every day we get up in the morning – a blank page and a clean slate to start over again?

I want to throw away pain and keep the compassion gained by it.

I want to throw away the notion that we are limited by our past or our present and hold fast to the knowledge that I am creating my future by the words and deeds I choose right now.

I want to throw away the remnants of self-loathing and keep the ones that taught me self-love.

I want to keep an open heart, a willing spirit, and an air of expectancy that good begets good, that love is the bold and best choice always, and that unimaginable blessings will chase us down if we are but willing to receive them.

These are the things I am envisioning for myself on this birthday. I wish for you, dear reader, not only all the things you wish for yourself, but a keen awareness of my gratitude for you, both friend and stranger alike.

Thanks for stopping by. Peace and Blessings to you.

3 comments:

  1. happy birthday Ilene!
    I am blessed to call you my dear friend!
    You deserve all of this, & more!!!
    (me too! ahaha!)
    I hope we can go parasailing together in Maui some day.
    Better yet, a visit to Israel!
    L'Chaim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Bday Ilene! I loved your blog and I can SO relate. God bless you this year andante more to come.
    Love you,
    Condy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilene this is so.wonderful! What a writer you are and more importantly to have this wonderful internal wisdom is such a beautiful thing. Happy birthday my friend!

    ReplyDelete