Thursday, January 8, 2015

the first blog of 2015!

We’re a week into 2015, I’m three days into a migraine, and football season is in full swing. At least I think it is. I try not to pay that much attention to things that cause traumatic brain injury unless they impact me directly.

I’ve decided to start my spring cleaning in January, because it makes more sense to me. January is cold and we’re largely confined to our homes. It seems like the perfect time to go through and get rid of stuff. In spring, the weather is nice and who wants to be indoors cleaning? Sure, laugh all you want to, but come April, I’ll be free to frolic, and frankly…oh crap, I got so excited about seeing how many words I could come up with in a row that begin with “fr” that I forgot where I was going with this.

Anyway, we’re one week into 2015, and each year since my friend Debi told me about this, I’ve picked three words at the beginning of the year. The idea is for them to be the kind of thing that will motivate you when you’re in a pickle or tempted to give up. I, however, go with the three words that come to me first, with no effort or thought. I figure that what comes first is where my focus needs to be, my mantra, if you will. And 2015’s words are…Trust. Surrender. Embrace.

Now, I’m not gonna lie to you. My initial reaction to those three words was an expletive also starting with the letter “f.”

I have not historically been a shining example, particularly in the trust and surrender department. But I have been very clear, for some time now, that my CD project is completely, 100% about that. And I had no problem doing that in the writing of it. But the writing wasn’t where the lesson stopped. It was where it began. The recording has also been a lesson in trust and surrender and embracing what is and learning to go with it.

I am certain I will be provided with many opportunities to practice my three words in the coming year, and I hope I manage to do it with some grace this time around. (I believe there has been kicking and screaming in the past.)

No one can say for certain where life will take them. We can set our intentions, plan and act accordingly, but life has a funny way of surprising us, of taking a sudden turn in directions we hadn’t anticipated going in. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, especially if we’re open to it.

So my intention for 2015 is to be open to something better than I expected or imagined. To embrace the journey, wherever it might lead. To trust that life has my best interests at heart. That surrendering to what is greater than I am can only lead to good.

2015 is a blank slate, a fresh start. But so much of what this year is about for me is completion. Completion of projects that have been years in the making. So I am committed to enjoying every remaining moment of the process. The people I get to work with, the love and joy brought to each detail. And equally as important, putting that love and joy out into the world and sharing it.

Whatever your goals and dreams are for 2015, whatever your own three words, I hope they take you places greater than you imagined. I hope, for the sake of our world, that we find our way back to loving each other, that we recognize that our destinies are inextricably linked, and our source is the same one, whatever we call it.

Peace and blessings to you in this New Year! Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment