Thursday, November 26, 2015

a blog of Thanksgiving...

On any given day, most of us can rattle off a long list of what we’re thankful for. This year, in particular, I think we are all keenly aware and thankful for our safety, our freedom, and the opportunities afforded us because we live in the United States of America.

I’ve had a hard time with Thanksgiving being largely glossed over this year, as the commercial Christmas season inches its way earlier and earlier. I have every confidence that it will begin in July pretty soon, bypassing Labor Day, Halloween, and Thanksgiving altogether.

Be that as it may, I am setting aside this day to focus on the gratitude it warrants, thankful for more blessings than I could possibly ever list in a blog…which doesn’t mean I won’t try to articulate at least some of them.

I’d like to start by offering up a prayer for those who have suffered recent losses. There are many this year, and I know the holidays are the hardest days when people are absent.

And for those battling illnesses of all kinds, you, too, are held in my thoughts and prayers with love on this day, in particular.

When contemplating what I’m thankful for, I like to let myself be random and go with whatever pops into my head as I’m typing this. So here goes…

I am thankful for making it to Thanksgiving 2015!
I am thankful for good health and for my wonderful family.
I am thankful for my crazy dreams and the ridiculous amount of perseverance I still possess to make them a reality.
I’m thankful for laughter.
I’m thankful for the precious time I get to spend with my father.
I’m thankful for the colors of autumn.
I’m thankful for football. (Totally kidding. Replace that with figure skating.)
I’m thankful for the people I’ve met this year.
I’m thankful for the friendships that sustain me and make my life rich.
I’m thankful for all the work and income I’ve received.
I’m thankful for chocolate. (We can all come together on this one, can’t we?!)
I’m thankful for any way in which I’ve made any life better.
I’m thankful that Aaron Sorkin is still writing.
I’m thankful for lessons learned and who I’ve become because of them.
I’m thankful for old friends reunited.
I’m thankful for things that sparkle.
I’m thankful I finally found a great hair colorist in New York! (The importance of this cannot be overstated.)
I’m thankful for art that moves me.
I’m thankful for my faith in the inherent goodness of life.
I’m thankful for anyone who has ever stopped by and read this blog.
I’m thankful for the journey that lies ahead, whatever it may be and wherever it may take me.

Life is a gift. Today was not given to everyone, so no matter how heavy the burden we carry, we owe it to ourselves to say “thank you” and to wring every bit of joy out of it that we can.


Happy Thanksgiving…

No comments:

Post a Comment