Friday, July 3, 2009

In Search of...an open road

So it's July 4th weekend, and it feels strange - partly because July 4th falls on a Saturday this year and partly because its true significance seems to have gotten lost in recent times. But that's fodder for tomorrow's 4th of July blog.

I myself will be heading out on the open road today, driving back to Nashville from New York. I plan on returning in time to see some fireworks. This is a drive I know well and have done many times, but the Blue Ridge mountains never cease to take my breath away, as does the Manhattan skyline as I approach it driving in. There are many things that I'm grateful for on my drive, including but not limited to the multitude of Cracker Barrels that line my journey between Yonkers and Nashville. (The importance of a clean bathroom, decent food, and a place to shop can never be underestimated when traveling.)

So as I leave New York for Music City, I will miss the people and the pizza, as always, but I look forward to the scenery and the gratitude I feel knowing I am free to move about the country as I please, and take in all the sights, both natural and not so natural.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great 4th and drive safely wherever your travels take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment