Friday, July 10, 2009

In Search of...my favorite summer TV shows

I thought that after the past couple of days' blogs it might be a nice change to try some lighter fare. And what lighter fare could there possibly be than television?

Summer always finds me watching less and doing more, but thanks to the geniuses who figured out that having new shows to watch would actually garner viewers, I do have some new favorites. The USA network hosts all of my new faves, so kudos to them for good programing. First of all, I'm a Law & Order junkie, so airing new episodes of Criminal Intent makes me happy, and though I'm not particularly a Jeff Goldbum fan, I am really enjoying him as the new quirky addition. (By the way, why is it that only the men on that show get to be quirky?) But much as I love me my Law & Order, my bigger favorites are In Plain Sight, Royal Pains, and Psych, which will resume new episodes in August.

In Plain Sight has really hit its stride this year and I'm liking it more and more. The dialogue has gotten funnier and the characters are far more clearly defined, so Sunday nights I'm riveted as each new case about someone in witness protection unfolds.

Psych has already been on for a couple of seasons, so I feel like there aren't quite as many surprises and unless they go somewhere unexpected this season, the characters are pretty one dimensional. That being said, they are charming and funny, and they have great chemistry - all of which makes for enjoyable TV watching.

I saved Royal Pains for last because it gets the #1 slot in my list of summer favorites. I have always had a thing for Mark Fauerstein - not the likeliest of leading men, and yet here he is, finally the star in his own hit show. Yay Mark! Good for you for hanging in for so long and finally seeing success!

I love this show because it's quirky, well written, and always goes a little differently than I expect it to. The characters (except for Jill, Hank's love interest) seem to have many layers right off the bat, and that makes them interesting to watch. I've never been to the Hamptons, so I couldn't tell you if it's an accurate depiction, but I'm guessing that, though exaggerated a tad, it probably is. And since most of us do not live that lifestyle, that too adds an element of interest.

Honorable mention must also be given to The Closer, a TNT contribution, which never diminishes in quality as the years pass.

So those are my top picks. I know, I know, my friends tell me I'm missing great stuff with So You Think You Can Dance, and America's Got Talent, but I think that Dancing with the Stars and American Idol are all I can take as far as contests and "reality" TV go.

I hope you're enjoying your summer, whatever shows and activities it includes. Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment