Saturday, January 2, 2010

In Search of...what I know for sure

It's a new year - 2010, and I find myself starting off by wondering what exactly it is I'm certain of. A lot of what I believed up until now has been sorely tested these past few years, and so I'm taking stock instead of wasting my time on resolutions to diet and exercise that I will most definitely blow by the end of week one.

Thanks to Oprah most of us have adopted the phrases "what I know for sure" and "aha moment" as a normal part of our lexicon, which I think is a good thing. So I'm just gonna think out loud here and see if what I throw out resonates with anyone -

I know for sure that love is the answer, regardless of the question.

I know for sure that actions speak way louder than words - which is why I'm finding the Obama administration particularly heartbreaking.

I know for sure that we either have excuses or results. The two do not co-exist.

I know for sure that purple looks good on everyone and therefore should be worn as often as possible.

I know for sure that only God's love is unconditional.

I know for sure that there is global warming.

I know for sure that eating processed carbs will make me fat.

I know for sure that doing nothing is also doing something.

I know for sure that pretty much everything in the movie The Godfather was right - you don't take sides against the family, the first one to approach you with an offer is the traitor, and you don't talk business at the dinner table...unless it's in a restaurant and you're about to shoot the guy. Right there - words to live by.

I know for sure that friends make life enjoyable.

I know for sure that Al Gore won the 2000 election.

I know for sure that life is a gift for which we are accountable.

I know for sure that the first movie is always better than the sequel.

I know for sure that I'm not going to get any taller or younger, but everything else is pretty much up for grabs.

I know for sure that nothing turns out like you plan, life can exceed your expectations, and people will inevitably surprise you both in good and bad ways.

I know for sure that broccoli is good for me, but homemade cookies taste and smell way better.

I know for sure that Aaron Sorkin's writing, Barbra Streisand's singing, and Jon Stewart's humor rock my world and make life bearable and happier.

I know for sure that no one is a better actress than Meryl Streep. No one.

I know for sure that it's hard to go against popular opinion - no matter how stupid it is.

I know for sure that this blog post must come to an end now, and so it is.

Thanks for stopping by, and please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment