Monday, April 13, 2009

In Search of...the right thing to wear to a film premiere

I just tried on the dress I'm wearing to my cousin Jessica's wedding in a few weeks and it fits! Thanks to the treadmill, my iPod (which I'm in love with) and a low carb diet, I was able to easily slip it over my head. The bad news is that upon inspection in the mirror, the words "girdle," "Spanx," and "Pilates" came to mind.

But that's the least of my worries because I still have a few weeks to work on that. My immediate concern is the movie premiere I was invited to tonight. By now I should know to expect the unexpected when I come to New York, but somehow I didn't plan on needing to think about movie premieres. Fortunately, the smorgasbord of black that is my clothing wardrobe should somehow suffice with big jewelry, a nice manicure, and artfully applied makeup.

So the movie called Every Little Step is a documentary about the show A Chorus Line, and I have been positively giddy about seeing it since I received the invite. A Chorus Line came out in the 70's, and like most things 70's, I immediately loved it and committed every song to memory. I think I spent a decade belting out "What I Did for Love" before retiring it from my repertoire.

After the screening...

To tell you the truth, I was a little worried that the documentary would reveal some deep dark secrets that would destroy my warm fuzzy memories, and if there's one thing I'd like to keep in tact, it's my warm fuzzy memories. But there was no need for concern. As a matter of fact, not only did it resurrect my warm fuzzies, it amplified them exponentially. I'm on emotional overload. I laughed and cried...and laughed and cried. And there was applause during the movie and after the movie. The theatre was filled with so much genuine affection and admiration that I hardly knew what to do with myself.

I think there's a certain place in each of our hearts for things that impacted us when we were children. A Chorus Line was one of the first Broadway shows I ever saw, and I had worn out the album (yes, album) by the time I got to see it. I remember the row I sat in (the last one in the theatre) and how I felt as I watched it, completely mesmerized. I remember the passion in my heart that was ignited, and it, like any great art that speaks to someone, changed me forever.

As I watched Every Little Step in an emotionally charged, filled to capacity theatre, I wanted to go find my leotard, tights, and character shoes. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

So the lesson of the day is to wear whatever you want as long as you're comfortable in your own skin. No one really cares what you're wearing in a dark theatre anyway. But the lesson is also to go for your dreams with everything you have, just like the dancers in the movie...because someone gets the job.

Thanks for stopping by, and go see Every Little Step.

No comments:

Post a Comment