Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In Search of...what is undeniable

I DVR'd American Idol last night, and it's a good thing I did because I had to watch Adam's performance at least three times. The first time my jaw dropped in that kind of automatic and uncontrollable reflex. The second and third times my jaw still did that, but I also noticed the accompanying goosebumps and tears.

So it got me thinking about what is undeniable. And what is undeniable at least as far as American Idol goes this season is that Adam Lambert's singing moves me to the core, like a great piece of art. I am changed forever having heard him, and there's no going back.

I think in the every day we are surrounded by mediocrity, by what is average. And we are so accustomed to that, that it's what we expect...of ourselves and everyone else. But once in a while, we are lucky enough to witness greatness, whether in the form of an artist, a song, a scientific genius, a teacher, or anyone or thing that raises our consciousness about what is possible.

I don't consider a song great unless I had to pull over to the side of the road the first time I heard it. I don't consider a politician great unless he inspires others to participate in the process, like President Obama did. I used to say there's funny...and then there's Robin Williams, because his stand up was so off the charts it was in a league of its own. (Granted, there was probably much pharmaceutical assistance in his early days as a comedian, but genius is genius nonetheless.)

So I'm feeling optimistic today, hopeful that I too can contribute something to this world that is undeniable, something that raises the bar. And I'm grateful that a kid on American Idol can inspire us all to dig a little deeper and reach a little further...toward our own greatness.

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment