Monday, August 2, 2010

In Search of...a happy occasion

I think we can all safely say that as a country we have been in need of a pick me up - a little something to brighten our day and make us smile. And I, for one, think that Chelsea Clinton's wedding has provided us with just such a pick me up.

First of all, who doesn't love a good wedding? No one, that's who. Second, seeing the Clintons, well, doesn't it kind of make you hearken back to that blissful period when we were all employed, when our retirement money was intact, and before we knew that danger lurked around every corner and on potentially any commercial airliner? I get all misty just thinking about it - a sure sign that I'm aging.

The other night, thanks to my favorite invention of recent years - the DVR, I was watching two concerts I had recorded on PBS. The first was Paul McCartney at the White House receiving the Gershwin Prize for songwriting. The second was a concert with Carole King and James Taylor. For a few hours I was in heaven. I remembered when songs were things with melodies and lyrics that everyone could sing, and even when it was just "Nah, nah, nah" at the end of "Hey Jude," it still seemed more meaningful to me than what is currently passing for popular music in our culture. For some blissful moments I was transported to a time when we could work it out, and when saying "you've got a friend" actually meant something.

So it's been a reminiscent few days for me, and I wonder if remembering how things felt can somehow summon better times to appear again. I wonder if seeing a beaming bride and her proud parents can remind us all that love is truly all that matters in the end. I wonder if pausing to join voices in song can heal the world, if only for a few moments. I wonder if making a conscious decision to focus on what is to be celebrated can make us all happier. If thinking makes it so, then so it shall be.

Peace and blessings to you. Have a great day. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment