Monday, March 16, 2009

In Search of...my first blog entry

A friend of mine who's an editor at a publishing company told me that I would significantly up my chances of getting a book deal if I had my own blog and came with an audience. So here I am, and there it is - full disclosure.

Another person told me that if you mention someone famous in your blog, their name is highlighted and the more times you mention them, the higher up your blog goes in the Google search. I don't know if either of these things are true, but on the off chance that at least one of them is, let me just say this - George Stephanopoulos, George Stephanopoulos, George Stephanopoulos. (And I have no doubt that I will say his name many more times, both randomly and superfluously in future blog entries.)

My book is a memoir called In Search of George Stephanopoulos - A True Story of Life, Love, and the Pursuit of a Short Greek Guy. And yes, I know that George is married now, but he wasn't when I started writing the book, and that's the important thing. Besides, why should his current marital bliss stand in the way of my book deal? (Thank god his wife, Ali Wentworth, has a great sense of humor! And her name will most likely come up randomly as well.)

Anyway, I figure this blog is the perfect opportunity to tell you what's on my mind about a variety of topics - just like those ladies on The View - the best gig in television, if you ask me. I mean, how nice is it to sit around and get a pay check for telling people what you think about stuff?! (I almost said something snarky about Elisabeth right here, but then I got to thinking, "what if when I get the book deal I'm promoting it on The View and they find out about my blog?" Whew! Disaster averted!) Of course, Oprah now does her "Fridays Live" thing with Ali Wentworth on the panel, and that's great too, partly because it allows me to mention Ali Wentworth semi-legitimately, and partly because Gayle King wears a different pair of cool eyeglasses each week. (And by the way Gayle, I vote for the green ones you wore a couple of weeks ago. They were awesome!)

Okay, so I think this is enough for my very first blog entry. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll do it regularly. Actually, I hope I do it regularly because if this is anything like exercise, we might all be in trouble.

Thanks again for stopping by, and please tell your friends.

4 comments:

  1. i love it! you better keep it up cuz i look forward to reading it :) which reminds me, i still haven't had a chance to talk to you about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, the names don't seem to be highlighted. You might have to do that manually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about highlighting, but I assure you, keep talking about George and you will be number one on google searches. You've just gotta give it a few weeks. Back when I was blogging (ah, those were the days), I wrote one dumb post about this random girl who was dating this celebrity, and to this day, my blog comes up number one in google searches for her. But she wasn't very famous, so you've gotta do a little more writing about George for the internet to deem your blog worthy of number one google status. If you build it, the google search results will come.

    xo
    erik

    ReplyDelete
  4. erik rocks! and we miss your blog! too bad you are a famous screenwriter now and have no blogging time for us....ilene must carry the torch! go ilene.....where's day 3? waiting....

    ReplyDelete