Monday, January 24, 2011

In Search of...a Monday blog

It’s the day before the State of the Union address, and I thought it would be a good time to set aside partisan politics and…oh, who am I kidding? We are not setting aside anything. It’s a sham, a ruse, a momentary dramatization of a cohesive country that can set aside its differences. But in truth, as the economic gap widens and the middle class disappears, we cannot set aside our differences, nor should we. For as long as the rich get good healthcare and the poor die, or the heterosexuals have the monopoly on marriage, or opposing views to corporate greed get fired from nightly news programs, we are not living in a cohesive or a truly free country.

I was going to blog today about how much more I like American Idol this season, how refreshing it is to see people in the judges’ seats who have accomplished the very thing that they are judging. I was going to say that I’m happy Blue Bloods was switched to a more visible night and time slot, even though I have to suspend a lot of belief to think that one family can in and of itself solve all the crimes in New York City and protect its citizens. I was going to reiterate how The Good Wife is still the finest hour of television that there is, and how the new show Fairly Legal is cute but the lead actress is more believable as a lingerie model in her stilettos than a mediator.

Yes, it’s frigid here on the east coast, and I am longing for something to warm me on a core level. I am seeking a modicum of fairness in an unfair world, of karma coming home to roost. I am wanting the meek to friggin’ inherit the earth already!

Perhaps there is a pill to make me feel better about Keith Olbermann’s departure from MSNBC, or give me the desire to leave my house instead of wanting to curl up in a little ball. I have not found that yet. No, instead I am watching, reading, and listening to motivational people in the hopes that they will, well, motivate me to get up off the couch and try to make a difference.

So perhaps it’s best for me not to comment on the state of our union. Still and yet, I do have running water, indoor plumbing and garbage removal, so I guess I shouldn’t complain. Plus, I woke up this morning, so that’s a good thing right there. And I don’t have to wear a burka See, the world’s looking better already.

So as Democrats and Republicans sit side by side tomorrow night, roasting smoores and singing Kumbaya while listening to the President speak, I will hold out the hope that it is the dawn of a new era in which we will create a level playing field for everyone. Ah yes, hope springs eternal, even for the cynic in me.

Happy Monday to you all. Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment