Wednesday, May 25, 2011

In Search of...my Oprah blog

It turns out nothing can make me carve out a few minutes to return to blogging like the end of the Oprah Winfrey Show. As the final episodes wound down, and a feeling of overwhelming loss swept over me this past week, I wanted another chance - to soak up whatever wisdom I somehow missed, to pay attention, to savor. I wanted another opportunity to feel the comfort of the certainty that came from knowing I could count on one hour of television that would make me think differently, open me up, inspire me to be my best self day after day, year after year.

As I reached for endless Kleenex, I knew that this twenty-five year old conversation was drawing to a close, and I would be left, like the rest of America, to treasure and fondly reflect on our time together as a thing of the past. Oprah called us all to take whatever we've learned and put it to use. I feel like our collective training wheels have been removed, and we are forced to find our own balance, and strength, and courage to claim a future that is called our lives.

I've already decided that the hour a day I'm gaining would best be spent doing the work of the mind and spirit. Maybe it will be reading a book. Maybe it will be writing one.

I know that many of you feel the same way I do, and that it is normal to mourn a loss, even as we celebrate a new beginning and wish each other well.

To Oprah Winfrey I wish the ability to somehow take in the magnitude of the affection that is directed her way. I wish her good health, long life, and a chance to take a deep, long, satisfying breath.

From a grateful Oprah fan - thank you and Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment