Friday, December 30, 2011

In Search of...a toast as one year ends and another begins

As another year draws to a close, I find myself assessing not only the 365 days gone by, but all the years that preceded them as well. Sure, I try to celebrate a future yet to come, but truthfully I am more reflective and somber than giddy with anticipation. I know I am not the only one, either. That's why we make resolutions - in the hopes that we will right the course of our lives. We long for that clean slate, that second chance, or maybe just some distance from the aching grief of loss. Whatever it is that you wish for, I hope it is granted.

I wanted to share with you some lines I wrote as well as those I found both moving and fitting as we raise our glasses to the end of 2011 and the start of 2012:

"Of all the money that e'er I spent
I've spent it in good company
and all the harm that ever I did
Alas, it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all." - Irish folk song

"Pass the tea & sympathy for the good old days are dead
Let's drink a toast to those who best survived the life they've led." 
- Janis Ian

"We drank a toast to innocence
We drank a toast to now
And tried to reach beyond the emptiness
But neither one knew how." - Dan Fogelberg

"Here's to love and all that breaks
Here's to us and our mistakes
Here's to scars that make us human." - Tanya Leah

"Here's to us, the dreamers
The last romantic souls
The true believers that never give up hope." - Ilene Angel

And to paraphrase Mike Dooley -

I wish that your every dream come true. That you find yourself surrounded by friends, laughter, and good times. I wish that your every cup runneth over financially, romantically, spiritually, and creatively. That good health be your faithful companion, peace your guarded ally, and love your perpetual guide.

Thanks for stopping by.
Peace & Blessings to you all in 2012,
Ilene

No comments:

Post a Comment