Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In Search of...interesting things to put on a business card

Yes, it's true. I am an ordained member of the clergy now. This bit of news is usually followed by a long pause in which the person hearing it tries to assess the veracity of the statement. Those who know me seem to think I'm kidding, but those who really know me are certain that I'm not.

While it's true that I've held a variety of jobs that include teaching Broadway tunes on Broadway, being an "information coordinator" (a nebulous title, if ever there was one), and even a stint making biker jewelry, I have managed to keep God, music, and politics at the forefront somehow.

I have to admit, though, this latest foray has taken even me by surprise. You see, I got ordained online. None of that years of seminary stuff for me, no sirree. I just filled out a form and clicked. But I warn you. Should you decide to do this for yourself, you will be transformed by the decision you make in ways you cannot anticipate. Sure, I picked the church who's sole tenet is "do what's right." That seemed good enough for me. And while I became ordained so that I could perform same sex weddings for my friends, the fervor of my belief in love, in equality, and in religious freedom has deepened tremendously, so I no longer giggle when I talk about it.

So sure, I write snarky political pieces for The Huffington Post, pop and country songs for upcoming artists, and will tirelessly persevere for any cause I deem worthy of my efforts, but in the end, it may just be that my "we are the world" belief system is what will define me and inform all my future choices, because to be a part of anyone's most vulnerable moments, whether good or bad, is to have a ringside seat for what is meaningful in life.

As for what I'm going to put on my business cards, I'm done with the biker jewelry, though I do love a good Broadway song. I think I might need as many cards as I wear hats. No matter what your motivations are, I encourage you to go for whatever you feel that inner urging towards. You never know where it may lead you. Life has a funny way of surprising us.

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

1 comment:

  1. My dear friend,

    You have always followed your heart, and always for the right reasons. So proud of you to have become ordained. Too late to marry us, of course ;-), but proud just the same.

    I think your business cards are going to have a lot of "slashes" between job titles (probably too many job descriptions to fit on one card) or just do the thing that's the most understandable to most, and have one card for each profession.

    Now go put on one of those hats and enjoy!!!

    Love,

    Annie

    ReplyDelete