Thursday, March 14, 2013

What's Around the Corner

When the New Year begins, we all wax poetic about our resolutions. We optimistically envision a new and improved version of ourselves, both physically and in every other which way. Usually, by week three, we’ve given up on most of our goals and made peace with our self-disgust. But not always. And not me. And not this year.

Early on, it was recommended that I pick three words that would keep me focused and motivated, a mantra, if you will. My three words are Trust. Ease. Unstoppable. And though I had no idea if this would work for me at the outset, those words have turned out to be perfect for me so far as this first quarter of 2013 draws to a close. Oh, not because I haven’t momentarily veered off-course, but because I’ve been able to gently steer myself back on-course by reminding myself that this is the way I’m choosing to live now and show up in the world.

So about the blog title, I think it's fair to say that no one knows for certain what's around the corner. But I will say this much: I have been working on a new book, a new singer/songwriter project, live gigs, and writing for a young artist that I'm incredibly excited about. So I'm off to a good start!

For those fans of this blog and my first book, In Search of George Stephanopoulos, my new book is not another memoir, but rather of the self-helpy nature with hopefully enough snark to keep everyone amused while I'm bandying about my pearls of wisdom acquired largely by having done the opposite of what would have best served me all along. Better late than never, that's what I always say.

Another really exciting thing is the worldwide debut of a new song of mine called "Glory Bound," that will be sung by the incomparable Corinna Sowers-Adler in her show By Request on April 7th in New York City. This song is very special to me because I wrote it a few days after the New Town school shooting and no one has heard it yet except for Corinna. To pitch a song without a demo is rare in the music business. So to do it and have someone love it enough to want to sing it alongside the work of Sondheim, Irving Berlin, and Kander & Ebb is kind of blowing my mind. I can't wait to hear her sing it live, so come on out and hear it with me!

As for the forthcoming singer/songwriter project, it is going to have an inspirational motif. And for those of you who have heard me gig for the last decade and asked where you could get the version with me singing these songs, it's a'comin' and God bless you for wanting 'em!!! Plus, there's gonna be some new stuff on there, too, which is really cool and exciting!

Some of you on Facebook and Twitter may already know about my upcoming New York City gig, but for those of you who don't, holy cow, this lineup is nothing short of a) miraculous, and b) phenomenal! On May 1st at 7pm, I will be at the new and improved swanky Stage 72 (formerly the Triad) on West 72nd Street, between Columbus and Amsterdam. I will be joined by (and I am not just saying this because they are my friends) some of the best singer/songwriters on the planet. They are Tanya Leah, Lorraine Ferro, BethAnne Clayton and Garry Novikoff! To be joined by people whose work I love and whose friendship I cherish is going to be more fun than I can express in my little blog! So mark your calendars and reserve your tickets now! (http://stage72.com/?p=2434 or call 1-800-838-3006)

For those of you Jersey folks, I will be playing at the MAC nominated Music at the Mansion concert series again on May 19th! This is at the Oakside Cultural Center in Bloomfield, New Jersey and it is such a special place. It is always such a treat to play there and to go listen to other artists there.

Lastly, I've been writing a ton o' country songs again both by myself and with the Emmy-winning Debi Cochran for an exciting new artist, so stay tuned for more word on the new music, where you can hear it, and where you can go see Kerina play live. Good things are coming!

Well, that's about all my news for now. Trust. Ease. Unstoppable. Yeah, I think I'm gonna stay with those. Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends. And be sure to come out to one of these shows and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment