Sunday, September 22, 2013

a holiday blog

Today is one of several designated holy days for me. I think there are five – Emmy, Oscar, Golden Globe, Tony, and Christmas.

Sure, some little girls grow up envisioning the tiara, the flaming baton, and the swimsuit competition, but not me. Nope. I envisioned Best Original Song in…well, anything, really. No tiara. And definitely no swimsuit stroll down the runway whilst being scored. SCORED. Sheesh, as if trying on swimsuits wasn’t bad enough!

So tonight I’ll take the rare night off and watch the Emmy’s. I have no idea who’s nominated, and to tell you the truth, I have not watched much television this past year, so I imagine there will be a lot of “who the heck is he/she?” emanating from my seat in front of the television.

If I had anything to say about the awards, I’d make sure the show, the entire cast, creator, and writer of The Newsroom won everything. But I know, I’m partial. I like smart, funny, and like Beyonce sings, “To the left, to the left.” So, on that note, ditto for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I think he’s only won about 250 Emmy’s so far, so I’m really rooting for a win this year.

Neil Patrick Harris is hosting, and I think he should just be knighted official host of every award show there is, though absolutely nothing will ever top his Tony hosting song and dance numbers. Seriously, people. If you have not seen them at this year’s Tony’s, go to YouTube right now!

I’ve been writing all day today, and I think I’ve reached the point where my sensor slipped out for coffee. Actually, I am in the midst of a writing blitz, so at any given hour, you can find me typing away at my new book on my laptop, at the piano working on a song, or in the shower…because that’s where all brilliant missing lyrics and melodies go to surface. I bet you didn’t know that. (And all my songwriter friends are probably pissed at me now cause I told you.)

Anyway, I decided to take a break from writing to blog. Wait for it…yeah, need to rethink that. But that just shows my dedication to you, my valued readers. Sure. That’s the story I’m going with.

Back to the Emmy’s. Do you know anyone who’s ever won one? Several members of my family have been nominated for them, and my cousin, Dan Angel, has actually won at least two that I know of. (Damn underachievers, my family.)

My friend and frequent co-writer, Debi Cochran, also won one, and that was for a song. It was a Daytime Emmy, and even years after the win, I cannot pass up the opportunity to refer to her as “Emmy award-winning songwriter, Debi Cochran.” It’s the least I can do, since she took me with her to the actual awards the night she won.

So I’m looking forward to putting my very own Emmy on my mantle one day. I’m also looking forward to having  a mantle, by the way. But these are minor details that can be ironed out later…


Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends. And the winner is…

No comments:

Post a Comment