Sunday, January 6, 2013

Three Words

We're almost a week into this new year, and I am thinking about how to keep positive momentum going...which brings me to a telephone conversation I had this week with my friend, Debi. She was relating a story between two songwriters, which I am going to totally mess up here, so let me start with the important take away from it - three words. And actually, the fact that they were songwriters isn't really relevant here either, just amusing to me.

Okay, so one songwriter was taking up mountain biking (logical sport for an historically nonathletic group of people), and though he'd gotten pretty good at it, he was lamenting to his buddy about how difficult those last few miles were. So his buddy suggested that he should have a mantra, and that mantra should be three words that were qualities he needed to possess to get him to his finish line. They should be three words that would be motivating enough that, when focused upon, would propel him toward his goal.

I think I can safely say that neither Debi nor I will be doing any mountain biking in the foreseeable future. However, what we did discuss was what our three words would be for this year. And that was both a fun and powerful conversation.

What are the qualities or things previously lacking? What three words are inspiring enough to catapult me forward to accomplishing what I set out to do? Can a word really focus you in such a way that you can muster the necessary stuff to succeed? Really?

My words came to me immediately, which took me aback, to be honest. It was as if that part of me I had been longing to hear clearly piped up at just the exact moment and told me, in no uncertain terms, what I needed for this next leg of my journey. My words are Trust. Ease. Unstoppable.

So there you have it, my three words. And they fit my desired outcome perfectly. So I decided to trust that that inner voice knew exactly what it was saying. There was no struggle, which, though it felt completely unfamiliar and foreign to me, I've decided might be a nice and much needed change in my life - ease. What a concept. And lastly, the word "unstoppable" conjures victory and triumph in my mind, and who doesn't want to be victorious and triumphant? No one, that's who! I had my mantra.

So on this first Sunday of the new year, I invite you to pick your own three words that will empower you and set your course for 2013. It's fun and I think you'll be surprised at what you come up with if you don't think too much about it.

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends. And may your three words help you live your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment