Sunday, January 11, 2015

a little inspiration

My friends inspire me. They do. They make me look at things differently, think differently, reach, and strive, and ultimately, live more fully. And it’s not just some of them. It’s all of them.

Yesterday, my friend Sandra asked me, “When you look back at the end of the year at 2015, what do you want it to be about? What do you want to be able to say about it?”

Holy cow! Great question. And my initial answer to her was obvious and way too small, upon contemplation. The question has been gnawing at me ever since she asked it, because I am a big believer in knowing what you want your end result to be. And yet, I’ve already declared here, in my beloved little blog, that my three words for 2015 are trust, surrender, and embrace.

So I’ve been mulling it over, because I want this to be a year of completion, turn arounds, and new beginnings. (Yes, I like things in three’s.)

I would like to impact as many people as I can profoundly and for the better with what I create. And in so doing, I would like to turn around my finances such that I not only don’t need to worry about them anymore, but so I can also be a blessing to others.

I know my fellow artists, if we’re being completely honest, feel much the same way I do. We want to do what we know our souls are called to do in this lifetime, and we want it to sustain us in this world. It’s as simple as that.

It’s bold to say that, I know. But nothing great has ever been accomplished without that kind of audacity. And frankly, if I can’t say it out loud, how likely is it that I will be able to actually do it?

I also have goals for my personal life, which are very much in keeping with the new beginnings category. I’ve wrestled a lot these past few years with how much “putting out there” is too much. I’ve written a memoir, so I’ve done that. And now, I’d like to not do that.

We live in a world that’s obsessed with social media and gossip. We have little expectation of privacy. It’s a double-edged sword, really, because some of us need to gain a following in order to have a career, but there also has to be something sacred, precious, and private in our lives. And that is a hard balance to find in the current world we live in. So each of us must navigate and determine for ourselves what is and isn’t off-limits to the world.

And also, just for the record, since we’re talking about social media, I don’t need to know if you bought a new pair of socks. Nor do I believe God really cares which football team wins. I do, however, enjoy the occasional savory food picture. (Yes, JoAnn, I am talking about you!)

There’s a famous singer/songwriter who is always posting pictures of his travels on Instagram and Facebook. He is in exotic locales all over the world. But he is always alone in these pictures, and if you ask me, he doesn’t really look all that happy. Now, obviously, someone is snapping the picture, but all I think when I look at them is what good is the travel if you are not surrounded by people who sweeten your journey?

So I know enough to be grateful for the riches I have. I don’t take for granted the people and moments that delight my heart. And as I step boldly forward in 2015, trusting, and surrendering, and embracing the adventure, I am inspired by the friends who join me, each on their own journeys, each answering the calling of their own hearts.

When you look back at the end of 2015, what do you want your year to have been about?

Let’s all start today.

Thanks for stopping by. Please tell your friends. And peace and blessings to you today and always…

Ilene

No comments:

Post a Comment