Tuesday, September 23, 2014

putting it out there...and letting it go

A friend recently asked me if I had a “hair strategy.” I suppose the question in and of itself meant that there was not an obvious one. But it did get me thinking, because I seem to be in a very transitional time, and not just with my hair.

It seems that the male of the species is fonder of longer hair on the female of the species, and I have no idea why I’m talking like a National Geographic TV documentary, but the point is I’m sure there is some scientific data to support this hair thing.

I’ve worn my curly hair short for a lot of years now, so it was time for a change…and truth be told, I’m kind of enjoying the new found attention accompanying my longer locks. Plus, I’ll be able to toss my hair around like a rock star on stage. I’ll get back to you on whether the head tossing necessitates any chiropractic visits or a neck brace, but for now, I’ve gotta go for it on account of you only live once.

My tendrils aside, sometimes you’re just ready for a change from the way you’ve been doing things and I’ve been on that path of change for a while now.

Some change is visible, like the hair, but other things are more subtle and creep up on you, like the events of this coming weekend.

As a songwriter, once your work is out in the world, it’s out there. And it takes some getting used to when you realize that people will perform it, listen to it, hum it, and relate to it, all without your presence.

Songs take on a life of their own, and people relate to them in a way that is unique to them. The meaning they derive will be associated with where they were, both literally and figuratively, when they first heard your song, who they were with, what was going on in their lives and in their hearts.

If you’re lucky, your songs will become a part of their soundtrack, the sense memory with which they associate love or heartache, an old friend, or the feeling of being truly understood.

That’s the stuff to which we writers aspire – at least I think most of us do. Who wouldn’t want to be a meaningful part of someone’s life? It’s an honor and a privilege.

That being said, there is transition involved, when a song goes from being yours, your baby, your creation, to belonging to the world. It feels weird. You want to be there to witness it on its journey. You want to know you did good.

And sometimes, if you’re lucky, you get that opportunity. But sometimes, like this weekend, I cannot be there and I must make peace with that as my work sails off.

I spent a couple of years writing songs every day with Sue Fabisch, my trusted friend and #1 Disney song collaborator. They are the songs that will be debuted this weekend in a new children’s musical called Poppy’s Pizza Palace.

I could not be happier to be part of something that will entertain kids and their parents, while still containing a message. I’m always about the message. So Sue’s book and our songs will hit the stage this Friday and Saturday night at 7pm at Christ Fellowship in Franklin, Tennessee. (Message Sue here if you want to reserve tickets. Sue's FB page  Seating is limited.)

And at the complete other end of the spectrum, but also this Saturday, acclaimed cabaret singer, Corinna Sowers-Adler will be performing a blues song that I wrote called “Even New York…” and doing it with her fabulous band at The Metropolitan Room in New York City. (For reservations, go here: Metropolitan Room reservations). 

I had the privilege of hearing Corinna and the band do the song at 54 Below a few months ago, so I know it will, again, be phenomenal. (Here’s a video of it at 54 Below: "Even New York" at 54 Below)

So I’m letting go now, and letting these songs travel the journey they are meant to. The next set of songs I will get to travel with somewhat, because they are the ones on my album so I'll be performing them out and about, and that, too, will be a new experience and a change for me, being the artist instead of just the writer. 

In the meantime, I’ll be developing a hair strategy, because, evidently, I’m in need of one.

Thanks for stopping by, and supporting the work I do, whether in Nashville, New York, or anywhere else. I appreciate it and hope you enjoy it!

xo

Ilene


No comments:

Post a Comment