Thursday, March 19, 2009

In Search of...living in the present moment

I was up until at least 2a.m. this morning, unable to sleep for no particular reason. All I could find on TV at that hour was paid programming and those Access Entertainment Insider gossip shows which I finally succumbed to. They spent the entirety of their episodes on the death of Natasha Richardson, as did Larry King. Her death was so overwhelmingly sad and unnecessary to me that I finally had to switch to the cooking knives being offered on QVC.

But channel switching couldn't keep me from wondering what the last interactions Natasha had with her children and husband were. Did they end with "I love you?"

Barring any long term illness, most deaths are unexpected, and yet few of us live from that place of recognizing and appreciating the fragility of life until it's too late. We let our lives be consumed by the mundane minutia that occupy our days. Little things become big, and in the grand scheme of things most of us would agree that a lot of it is meaningless.

So I, for one, am going to savor each moment today and appreciate things like the taste of my morning coffee, the sound of the birds chirping outside my window right now and the people who make my life beautiful and love-filled.

Thanks for stopping by again, and tell your friends...that you love them.

1 comment:

  1. i think this is some of the best advice there is...to live in the present. steve and i try really hard to both come back to that as much as possible, as it doesn't take much to get caught up in everything around us. love you :)

    ReplyDelete