Friday, March 20, 2009

In Search of...something a little more upbeat

Yesterday's blog was a little maudlin and so I was planning on getting back to something trivial and meaningless today...like why ABC cancelled Life on Mars and how many times I can say George Stephanopoulos in this particular blog entry.

The thing is I've been getting these daily updates about an acquaintance of mine, a man I've known for about thirteen years, but wouldn't particularly call more than an acquaintance. He is larger than life, with a big voice and an even bigger persona and he is dying of brain cancer. He will leave behind a wife and four children and I estimate that he is not more than a few years older than me...probably the same age as our President and the same age as, yes, George Stephanopoulos.

The last time that I saw him he was with his son getting ice cream at a local Nashville place called Maggie Moo's. He looked as vibrant and healthy as ever, and I would never have guessed that I would be sitting here writing this now. But that's the thing about life (and death)...we just don't know.

So I'm wondering if there's some meaning I can glean from the interactions that I have had with him, and if there's some way I can honor his spirit in the course of my own life. Maybe I can find the part of me that's larger than life that I seem to hide most of the time. Or maybe I can not take things so seriously. (Okay, realistically, that's probably not gonna happen). Or maybe I can just remember that my time here is fleeting and to make the most of the little moments like the evening runs for ice cream.

As for the book deal, I still hope it happens because everyone loves a story where the underdog succeeds. Oh yeah, did I mention that that was the point of it? Well, it is.

I'll be back to the meaningless entertaining dribble soon, I promise.

Until then, thanks for stopping by again...and tell your friends.

1 comment:

  1. more upbeat, huh? no one likes upbeat. listen to most of the songs on the radio :) we all love the depressing shit! but in all seriousness, i do think it's much more difficult to do upbeat than down. it seems like it's always harder to find good upbeat material, whether it's movies, books, music. speaking of upbeat movies, "i love you, man" was pretty funny! and since it just came out a lot of people are probably searching for it, so maybe this mention can help bring em to your blog. ok, goodbye, before my comment is longer than your blog entry :)

    ReplyDelete