Sunday, May 17, 2009

In Search of...a Sunday blog

It's been a couple of weeks since my regular Sunday blog and it's good to be back. After being snubbed by the White House Correspondent's dinner, I thought I'd have a dinner of my own. I was the only one in attendance, but at least there were no hecklers.

So this week's political highlights included a lot of hullabaloo about Nancy Pelosi knowing or not knowing about "enhanced interrogation techniques" - a term that the Bush administration came up with to sound better than plain old "torture." Frankly, Nancy is not one of my favorite politicians, but if she knew what was going on, rest assured so did everyone else. Of course she swears she didn't...or that she was told it wasn't being used...or that she was lied to by the CIA. (Boy, that was a can of worms I definitely wouldn't have opened.) I lost consciousness somewhere during her press conference on Thursday. And judging by the frenzied free for all that was This Week's round table with George Stephanopoulos today, Washington is all atwitter about it. All I care about is that we've stopped torturing people. And frankly, Nancy Pelosi was not the person who made that decision or carried it out, even if she wasn't vocal about her objections to it.

And speaking of torture, I totally agree with President Obama that it would be a bad idea to release photographs of American soldiers torturing detainees. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that this would not improve the world's opinion of us, nor would it gain us any allies. I think it was a mature and wise decision that has nothing to do with a reversal on the policy of transparency in this administration. The transparency is in knowing that the torture took place and in putting and end to it.

And just to continue down that road, would Dick Cheney please go back to wherever he crawled out from under?!! For eight years this guy stayed in a bunker and only mumbled publicly on an occasional Fox News broadcast. Now here we are, he's finally out of office, and he won't be quiet. He was the biggest architect of the mess we're now in, and if he was going to do something constructive to fix it, he had eight years to do it. I think he should just take a seat now and let the grown ups do the job he wouldn't.

Okay, I'm done with the torture topic for now, though it's possible that George Stephanopoulos's round table guests are still in a fist fight somewhere in the museum in D.C.

There's a part of me that would like to lock all politicians in a room and not let them out until they've successfully completed the kind of task that can only be accomplished by working together as a group - you know, the kind of task like building a human pyramid or fixing the country, for instance. All the minutiae that they get into to distract each other from the real work at hand is no longer working, and I, for one, am exhausted.

So let's start anew and figure out where to go from here. Let's stop wasting time with inquiries and investigations about who knew what, when, and who lied about it. They all knew, and they all lied. There. I just saved us all years of hearings and millions of dollars in independent prosecutor fees.

Have a joyous rest of your Sunday, and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment