Thursday, May 14, 2009

In Search of...the impossible

In my last blog I was talking about how miraculous it is that art is created out of thin air. Today I'd like to talk about having a vision that's larger than our current set of circumstances so that the world might be the benefactor of the fruits of our labor.

It always amazes me how when you decide to do something, people line up to tell you why it can't or shouldn't be done. I'm not really sure how we've come this far with that kind of attitude, or why we more often than not, go toward the negative instead of the positive. But every now and then, and because I think God has a profound and ironic sense of humor, there are examples to prove that our collective negativity is just collective negativity, and whatever it's rooted in, whether it be fear or laziness, is not the stuff of anything real or substantive.

Of course one of my favorite recent examples is Susan Boyle, the 47 year old singer from Scotland who was dismissed because of her age and appearance, but is now the most famous singer in the world with over one hundred million YouTube hits. I think this proves that for all of our negativity, we are thirsting for a drop of proof to remind us of what we're capable of and that sometimes the underdog not only wins, but kicks serious ass in the process.

Music aside, the hugest example of possibility out there is our President. He is the best proof that positive dialogue and a grander vision can move mountains no one thought were possible. A black guy with a Muslim middle name, a first term Senator - how many people do you think told him he shouldn't run for President and couldn't win? I'm betting quite a few.

So how do we apply these very public examples to our own lives? Or do we cop out and say that the ones who accomplish the impossible are a fluke or the exception? Humble Susan Boyle said something like "I thought I'd go out and give it a try." Yet most of us don't even go that far. We don't even show up to the audition. But what could we succeed at if we did? What mountains of our own could we move? How do we drown out the deafening voices of doom and doubt which seem so much louder than those few that would say, "Yes, you can?"

So today I'm starting out like Susan Boyle by saying, "I think I'll give it a try." I think I'll show up. I think I'll focus on a bigger vision for my life than most would think practical, or sensible, or even rational because there are two kinds of people out there - those who believe anything is possible and those who believe nothing is, and I choose to be the first kind. The next thing I'm going to do is take one step toward my goals, just one thing to move me in the direction of my heart's desire. And if I do that every day - focus on the bigger picture and do something to put me in the direction of my dreams, then maybe, just maybe I can move mountains also.

This world has enough naysayers, and they may be the majority, but they will never be the ones to end world hunger, find a cure for cancer, or form lasting peace. Those are things that require not only determination and hard work, but a faith in something better and bigger than we can presently see all around us or on the nightly news.

I believe that anything is possible. I believe that I am only limited by my limiting thoughts. I believe that we can do great things if we have the courage to show up and try. And I believe that if all these things are true for me, then they are true for you also.

Thank you so much for stopping by. Please tell your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment